Thursday, May 10, 2007

Irony

There is a strange parallel between my day tomorrow and the next two years of my life. It is sad indeed when you do out of pity, the things you did out of love. Or compromise that which was your pride.
I'm not trying to be cryptic. Sometimes you are manipulated into some things. But even after you realize the manipulation, you allow yourself to be led in further. Becasue you must. For someone or the other's sake. For an image of yourself that some people have. That you would rather not break. Would that make me a hypocrite? Perhaps, yes.

I have had a fairly uneventful and happy life. No abuse or trauma or abject poverty or messy divorces. Which is why I realize how shallow it sounds when I say, that all my life seems lived for other people. Not in a self-sacrificing way. Just in an accidental, non-interfering kind of way. I suppose I was gullible, or just plain uninterested. As long as things are going more or less the way they were supposed to, as long as I didn't feel cheated to the face, it was easy to go along.
But when you're young, specifics do not matter. As long as you are into something. Anything.
You know what I blame it on? Books. And films, and music and words that mean so much but amount to nothing. That can change your perspective on life and people for ever. And yet remain innocently guiltless. It is you who change. And you who have to live with that change.
I feel all words and quotes and characters sometimes. And I realize that I expect my life to work out like my favourite book. Or atleast be as dramatic. Everything that I have thought or wanted, can be credited to some perceptive writer or poet or artist. Literature has, in a way, taught me to think for myself. And as I find out, the hard way, it's not always a good thing.
My life isnt a movie. And there is no guarantee of a happy ending or a prince charming or a sweepstake win. And there are certain things that must be done, be it against my will, for others who expect it to be done. For the sake of...I don't know, sanity? Not disturbing the universe?
The world has its share of rebels and mad scientists, who did not have to pretend to make choices.
The worst is when you're told, that the choice is yours to make. That it is, after all, your life.
Don't kid yourself, or allow others to kid you. That, it never is. And there wasn't even a choice to begin it.
Just go with the tide, and try not to rock the boat too much. There are agents who wouldn't bat an eyelid while pushing you off it. And all for your own good, ofcourse.

3 comments:

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ said...

Very smartly put!

I'll be a bit selfish.I have lost out on innumerable number of oppurtunies as the people around me have been advicing me.Call it my ego or 'attitude'.But I did realize at a point(when I couldnt go back) that its all about me.And no-one.

"And you who have to live with that change."
Couldnt have been more true.Just couldnt have.

Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

I think we're too scared to rock the boat, or 'disturb the universe', yes. And also, we don't have a very clear picture of the alternative. So we rebel, go against the tide, et cetera. And then? Our passions, are too transient for us to last out that 'other life'. I'm not even talking about the challenges. You know, you do whatever you want, but at the end of it you're left feeling dissatisfied - asking, was it ever worth it? We're not smart enough to be good losers. And unfortunately for us, we're disillusioned too easily. We're just a bunch of angsty, disappointed, hard-to-please people, aren't we? *sigh*
Maybe it gets better with age. Thurlow-esque school of thought. :P

Anonymous said...

hav u been tricked by someone?
......don