Monday, May 21, 2007

City Lights

I'm in love with the City. With its dust and traffic and pollution and aimlessness. With its 3-minute long signals and overstuffed buses bursting at the seams. I'm in love with B.B.D Bag and the Grand Eastern renovations. And Bowbazar and Bidhan Sarani and weird bus numbers from far north and the GPO and the grandfatherly tram conductors.
This has been the most glorious me-day ever. I did everything on my own, inspite of the day being unimaginably hot (this is all before the heavenly thunderstorm) Walked till the ends of College Street till bookstalls had been replaced by sari stalls. Looked through a few incredibly good art books. (Note to self: Go back.) Took a tram ride through the north, all randomly ofcourse, I had no clue what I was getting on and where it was going. North Cal is so picturesque, you can almost lean out and touch it. So anyway, I got off suddenly at a place where the tram stopped, walked around for a bit, looked at old baris, shops and people. Was actually looking for some food, but it was past 12 and they weren't frying kochuris anymore, and thats what I had to have. I did have sugarcane juice though, with lime and everything in a bhar.
Then I walked on some more, I really do not know in which direction, but bus names still seemed familiar, and that gave me confidence I suppose. Intentionally, I walked off the metro route, metros are too easy. I wanted to feel lost, if you know what I mean. Never mind if I had to ask for directions, or call up my dad, it was just the sense of, I don't know...oneness? And I realized that I could not get lost here, it was all too familiar, even though I have never been into these streets before.
How do I put it? It was a connection, one that I had been looking for since a long time with people, places anything. In spite of all irritants, I was really enjoying myself. Its like re-exploring a place you already know about, but its all in your memory, and you have to know it again. It was completing. All the way through unfamiliar to familiar landmarks, Park Street, Maidan, AJC et al, as I returned to my side of the town. Only there weren’t any sides anymore. The entire place was mine.
The City is hypnotic. Just fall in with its beats. Tram beats, dust footstep beats, Conductor chant beats, people, cycles, street food. This is my place. My own.

4 comments:

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ said...

Havent you noticed the wierd bus names in North Cal?
...Kashundopara,Jomneshpur.

I'm too much in love with the city.Too much.

:D

onnesha said...

shit man!
i have always thought of going out all by myself but i never could muster enough courage to actually do that.but i am intoxicatingly in love with the city nonetheless..have you ever been to the st pauls cathedral church and just sat there?its ethereal.
the fact is i love the city but i think i am a bit partial to the south than the north.

exhaling smoke said...

`awe....seesh..... what can i say..

well my gift to ye.....some of my aimless journey a€round calcutta

`http://www.flickr.com/photos/rishi_roy/sets/72157600195386198/

hope this lifts ye up.....when ye are away.

Random Doodler said...

@ Moo-lah: U totally made up those names, man.

@ Onnesha: It really doesnt take much courage. Just wear lots of sunscreen n carry water. And I'm partial to the south too, but u must go to the north...just for the sake of getting lost :)

@ rishi: I've seen them before, and liked them very much. Thanks :)