Thursday, June 15, 2006

Sid

His name was Sid. Short for something bigger. What..I don’t know. Everyone called him Sid. All his friends. His mom. His maths teacher. I called him Sid too.
One day while we were walking, I called him Siddy. Unconsciously. I hadnt even noticed. He turned to me, his eyes flashing. "Its Sid", he said.
I cowered. And nodded mutely.
We walked...him still angry, and me much disturbed.
************************************************************************************
We played together as children. He could make up brilliant stories. We had our own collection of mythical creatures more wonderful than any unicorn you might meet on the road.
When I played well, without messing up my lines he would pat my head.
Sid found a dog on the road once. A week later, he found it again.
Someone had kicked it around too much. It died.
************************************************************************************
When I was 7 and he was 9, his aunt asked Sid whom he wanted to marry. I looked away knowing very well what his answer would be. When she asked me I looked at Sid, and said "No one."
When I was 16 and had my first boyfriend, his aunt had died. Sid had left home for good.
************************************************************************************
Years later, I saw him again in a seedy bar. He bought me a beer, while his eyes danced around brightly. We didn’t speak at all. There was simply too much to say.
"Did you see Kill Bill?” he asked me, at length.
"Part 1 or 2?", I asked.
"I don’t know. Its doesn’t matter" he sighed.
He got up to leave, his glass half-empty. "Hey", I called out. "What is your full name?"
"Sid," he said without turning back. “Sid.”

7 comments:

Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

confounding little thing! What's his name?? Interesting read...trying to look for parallels in real life...then again, maybe I shouldn't right?

Random Doodler said...

well..u can if u want to...but u didnt know me back then.
thanks, btw :)!

The Nutty Pea said...

like nandini, even i was trying to pick up the personal links (if any)...well written though...strangely enough, it reminds me of a telefilm i once saw...alteast the last part does.

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ said...

hmmmm....u sound like david heirkernen!....n who's sid??....[:O]

Random Doodler said...

David who..?
Sid's nobody. He's a nobody!

Dipayan (DeepDiveR) said...

Sid's probably short formed of siddhartha....thats gautam buddha!! there u go...u knew the enlightened one o beloved witch!

Shankha said...

Simply Great!!!